Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Power In An Email

We all get emails.  A lot of emails.

Sometimes we don't remember signing up for the newsletter.  Sometimes we get email forwards from friends (or people we've only met once).  Sometimes we get 5 emails a day from 1 person/business.  Sometimes it's only a few times a year.

An email can be a beneficial tool to your marketing plan - if done properly.  I find myself some how subscribing myself to email newsletters and then getting bombarded with emails.  Now, I signed up for it because I did want to hear something from you, but not all day every day.

So here are a few tips that I've learned about email marketing:

  • Consider how many you get from any 1 company.  If you think that's too much, do less.  Unless you have a lot to say, don't send more than 1 or 2 a month - if that.  If you have a lot to say - write a blog. 
  • Know your audience, and what will get their attention: What key words or phrases will encourage them to open the email, but not be deceitful and cause your contact to unsubscribe
  • Include links - lots of them!  Usually, your e-newsletter provider will track the clicks; you'll know what got the readers attention for next time.  
  • Don't make it all about you, make it about them.  Offer up a great piece of information (suggesting they follow you on Facebook or Twitter to learn more), promote a giveaways, etc.
  • Be a person, not a machine.  Add some personality to it, this is Social Networking, so stay social!
  • Don't get upset if people unsubscribe - you've done it too!
There are several great services available.  I've been using MailChimp to send my messages, and WuFoo for my opt-in forms.  I'm very pleased with it so far - if you're looking to start with an email campaign, start small, and try it out for free!  If you need help, Sociably Cindy is here for you!





No comments:

Post a Comment